Friday, December 09, 2005

Weather and fantasy football

Okay, so I’m in the first week of my fantasy playoffs, and I currently deciding who to start at wide receiver. I’m going with Steve Smith who is a stud and I never bench, but my second pick isn’t as easy. Right now it’s between Lee Evans and Bobby Engram.

Evans is playing vs. the Pats whose secondary is hurt. He has also proven to be the favorite receive of JP Losman, the starting quarterback for the Bills this week. Adding/Detracting from Evans’ case is that Eric Moulds, Buffalo’s other starting wide out, is benched for the week due to "conduct detrimental to the team." This seems to be a double edged sword. Without Moulds, Evans easily becomes the main target and will get a look on almost every pass. Without Moulds, everyone knows Evans will be the main target, and he could end up in a lot of double coverages. But again, the Pats secondary sucks…

Engram on the other hand is currently the Seahawks #1 receiver, with D-Jax just coming back from injury. Seattle is also playing at San Fran, who sucks. It seems like a no brainer to start Engram, but the Seahawks may rest him once they have a nice lead. Also, with Alexander, this team could just run the ball all day, build up a nice lead, and then decide to rest their starters. So Engram could see very little action.

Both these situations aren’t great plays, so how do I make my decision? I think it comes down to the weather…

If it snows, the Bills game could easily become a run dominate game on both ends. Simple put, Buffalo will not be passing the ball, and Evans gets shit for points. If it doesn’t snow, Evans, Losman’s only good target, should have a good day.

So what I’m trying to say is that I’m waiting until Sunday and depending on the forecast in Buffalo, I’ll decide then which of these two gets the nod… Weather and fantasy football…